Knowledgeable Fort Lauderdale Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Protect the Elderly
Standing up for those who can’t fight for themselves
The average life expectancy in the United States is 78. As our loved ones age, they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, even if they need around-the-clock care. Unfortunately, your loved ones may not receive the quality care they deserve in a nursing home. Elderly patients are sometimes abused by the people entrusted with their care. If your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, you need a personal injury attorney in Fort Lauderdale to help you make things right.
What is nursing home abuse?
Nursing home abuse can damage patients physically, emotionally and financially. The Law Offices of Andrew Alitowski, P.A. has been protecting the aging population for 18 years. We understand that this form of medical malpractice abuse is a serious problem. The following statistics indicate that many nursing homes are negligent in hiring and training their staff:
- Over 90 percent of nursing home facilities are understaffed.
- One in three nursing homes across the country has been cited for nursing home abuse and related infractions.
- In one year, 5,000 death certificates for nursing home patients listed dehydration, malnutrition, starvation or bed sores as the cause of death.
- Approximately 50 percent of nursing home patients suffer from untreated pain.
- One-fourth of the aides prosecuted for abusing patients have previous criminal records.
- Approximately five percent of nursing home aides across the nation have criminal records
Sadly, many elderly patients have dementia or cannot communicate; making it difficult for family members to make the link between negligent care and their aging relative’s depression.
What are some signs of nursing home abuse?
Signs of abuse include bruises, bedsores, open wounds, sudden weight loss, fecal/urine odors and general poor hygiene. In addition to the physical ailments, your loved one may also be subjected to the intentional infliction of emotional distress and psychological abuse. If you suspect that your loved one in a nursing home is being abused, you need a personal injury attorney in Fort Lauderdale. The elderly are particularly vulnerable and deserve an advocate who fights for them. We handle your case with compassion and dedication.
Call our office for a free consultation
If you or a family member is a victim of nursing home abuse, the Law Offices of Andrew Alitowski, P.A. can help. We offer our services on a contingency-fee basis, which means you don’t pay if we don’t win your case. Call us today to schedule your free consultation at 888.275.2637 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or contact us online.